Job Posting – Ministry Assistant for Operations
Position is Open Immediately. 1/21/2022
The Ministry Assistant for Operations is responsible for managing reception and facility operations to create a culture of radical hospitality by welcoming, inspiring, informing, and serving congregation members, visitors, staff, tenants, and the community. Primary functions of this role include event scheduling, supervision of hospitality staff, and providing administrative support to the Director of Operations and the Clergy. It is essential for the Ministry Assistant for Operations to become familiar with all programs and scheduling for Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis.
Plymouth Congregational Church is a progressive faith community grounded in the Christian tradition. In mutual care and respect for our diverse understandings of God, we seek to embody the radical love and justice found in the life, teachings, and spirit of Jesus.
- Fulltime, Hourly, Non-Exempt.
- Pay is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Benefits include Health & Dental Insurance, 403(b) Retirement Account, Flexible Spending Account, and Vacation, Sick, and Holiday Pay.
- COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster required, or Medical/ Religious Exemption.
- Background check required.
- This position reports to the Director of Operations.
- 5 years of office related work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Church experience or other mission driven professional experience preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in Microsoft Office and other database programs (preferably a church database program).
- Strong listening and communications skills—verbal and written.
- Well-developed organizational and administrative skills.
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Able to deliver consistent, committed, reliable, and timely performance.
- High standards regarding confidentiality and integrity.
- Collaborative work style and ability to work as a professional member of the team.
- Ability to welcome and interact with a wide diversity of guests/individuals, including those seeking emergency assistance.
- Cultural humility, and/or experience working with underserved/underrepresented populations.
Key Accountabilities/Responsibilities and Duties
Including, but not limited to:
- Welcome guests in a warm, friendly, respectful manner.
- Staff front desk.
- Supervise hospitality staff.
- Recruit, coordinate, and train volunteers for the front desk.
- Create and maintain an accessible information system so the front desk is the information hub of the church.
- Implement policies and procedures for walk-in guests needing assistance.
- Handle all front-of-house duties cheerfully, competently, and professionally.
- Responsible for scheduling all space and events in the facility.
- Process all requests for building use, including requests from boards, members, and outside groups.
- Coordinate event logistics from beginning to event conclusion.
- Coordinate custodial setups for all room usage.
- Issue contracts and invoicing for groups and events.
- Schedule zoom meetings and webinars.
- Maintain the facility calendar and publish weekly updates for staff.
- Coordinate arrangements for baptisms, weddings, funerals, and memorials between church members and minister, organist, soloist, custodians, food service, room usage, etc.
- Order supplies and maintains vendor relationships.
- Produce appreciation cards for volunteers after events and coordinate a volunteer appreciation gathering.
- Cross-train with other office staff to provide coverage in the event of vacations, illness or leaves of absence.
- Provide support to the Director of Operations and Clergy
- Other duties as assigned.
Problem Solving Responsibilities
- Prioritize work and organize to meet deadlines.
- The Director of Operations should be kept informed of problems that are persistent or vexing in nature.
- Decision Making/Freedom to Act
- This position is accountable to the overall mission of the church and maintaining collegial relationships with staff, Board members, colleagues, guests, and the congregation in general.
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to anneg(at)plymouth.org.