Director of Spiritual Formation
The Director of Spiritual Formation will lead and supervise the spiritual formation activities and programming of Plymouth Congregational Church of Minneapolis by providing direction, vision, and oversight for a variety of developmental initiatives for members and visitors, including classes, workshops, retreats, and special events. The Director will also look to develop new opportunities to enhance the discipleship, personal development, and spiritual lives of members and guests of Plymouth Church. This position visions the arc of all spiritual formation with an explicit focus on programming for adults of all ages.
Plymouth Congregational Church is a progressive faith community grounded in the Christian tradition. In mutual care and respect for our diverse understandings of God, we seek to embody the radical love and justice found in the life, teachings, and spirit of Jesus.
- Serve as the primary coordinator with the Board of Spiritual Formation on all aspects of spiritual formation for Plymouth Church.
- Direct, teach, and recruit teachers/facilitators for all classes/workshops/retreats for adults.
- Serve as liaison to the Board of Spiritual Formation plus necessary committees:
- Sunday Forum
- Library Committee
- Spiritual Exploration
- Manage, plan, and promote Sundays @ 10 activities.
- Recruit and manage volunteers for Spiritual Formation classes, activities, and programming.
- Work with the Clergy team to coordinate themes, vision, and church events.
- Manage and plan budget for all Spiritual Formation and Children/Youth expenditures
- Plan, coordinate, and teach Confirmation.
- Collaborate with the Director of Children and Youth Ministries to integrate young people into the life of the church.
- Collaborate with other Plymouth groups (e.g., Racial Justice Initiative, Climate & Environmental Justice Committee, Immigration Welcoming Working Group) to offer opportunities for experiential, intellectual and embodied learning.
- Help promote spiritual formation activities, programming, and opportunities beyond the walls of Plymouth.
- Attend Leadership Council meetings plus Board of Spiritual Formation and committee meetings.
- Support and assist in worship services as needed.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Have availability on evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Master’s degree in Education, Spiritual Direction, Spiritual Formation, Pastoral Care, Counseling, or related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in spiritual formation, professional ministry, higher education, or related experience.
- Ability to effectively reach and teach a diverse population of people.
- Outstanding supervisory skills.
- Outstanding written and communication skills.
- Fulltime, exempt position
- Salary: $65,000 – $68,000 with benefits
- Please email a cover letter and resume as one document to BethF@plymouth.org.